1. Take Your Time Choosing A DJ Choose a DJ that you connect well with. Before booking a DJ get to know them on a personal level. I believe that having the same personality is a vital part of a successful wedding. Having a DJ that matches your personality will not only make the wedding process go smoother, but it will also make things a lot more fun!
2. Communication is Key Your DJ is will be representing you in front of all your friends and family. It's an understatement when I say your DJ needs to be a great emcee. Your reception relies upon their ability to inform and entertain your guests. At a wedding people need to be told what to do and where to be. Their ability to emcee and perform master of ceremony duties has the capability to make or break your wedding.
3. Your Timeline One of the most important tools that you and your DJ should discuss. It coordinates every aspect of your wedding and keeps your guests and other vendors informed of the nights events. Your timeline should be detailed, smooth flowing, and adjustable. No wedding has ever been perfect according to the timeline and yours will not be either. Having a DJ that knows his timeline and able to adjust accordingly is a huge factor!
4. Music Don't be fooled when a DJ tells you they have thousands of songs to choose from. That's all fine and dandy but the reality is, you'll use about 75-90 of them throughout the entire night. This goes back to the connection we talked about. There are so many genres of music to choose from. Find a DJ that likes the same type of music as you do. It's critical that they know the music you want and are familiar with it. After all, it does set the mood for your entire night!
5. Lighting This can be a game changer, if used correctly. Don’t be afraid to splurge a little bit here and really set your wedding apart from others.
First, Up lighting. Uplighting is a technique in which lights are placed on the ground and aimed upward projecting lighting off of walls, pillars, and other objects. These multi-colored lights can be coordinated with your weddings overall color scheme and turn a plain venue into a beautiful, picturesque setting. Uplighting can set the mood for any situation by enhancing the entire rooms overall appeal. Soft warm colors can set a romantic mood during dinner while using bright festive colors will have your guests ready to dance!
Secondly, Intelligent Lighting. Intelligent lights are single fixtures that are able to enhance a variety of situations. Their ability to rotate 360 degrees allows them to be placed in one location and reach every part of your venue. They are used to project monograms, spotlight your grand entrance, formal dances, and cake. They can project stars or hearts on the ceiling or walls during dinner and of course act as your dance floor lighting when you’re ready to get the party start.
Lastly, Monograms. Monograms are what you see projected on the wall or dance floor. It usually contains the bride and grooms initials along with their wedding date. Adding even one of these truly makes your wedding yours!
I would be more than happy to discuss any of these topics as well as any others you might have regarding your wedding in further detail. Please do not hesitate to call, text or email me, thanks!